Thursday, February 9, 2012

RecommendedReads | Beautiful bookshops

Rizzoli Bookstore, 57th Street, New York


Headline: The 20 most beautiful bookstores in the world 

Publication: Flavorwire
Rizzoli on 57th Street has to be one of my favorite bookstores. I was naive enough to think it was a secret find before I realized that everyone knew about it. Oh well, it is still quaint and does not have a sprawling cafe where everyone does everything but read a book. The arched mullioned windows and dim ocher lighting make me want to  wear tweed and smoke a pipe.  It's a Taschen  friendly bookshop that caters to large illustrated books as well as rare jewels. Then of-course there is Blackwell's in Oxford, not particularly pretty but it has an entire section devoted to Tolkien which is good enough for me. Finally I don't know how many of you recall The Turtle Bookshop (I think it was called that)  in Khan Market, Delhi. I used to love that little place with its penchant for Mirza Ghalib and Everyman classics. Then there is Bombay's very own  Strand at Fountain where I got my first Everyman Library book ten years ago. Go ahead and read Flavorwire's take on their 20 most beautiful bookstores in the world. Also write in and tell us about your favorite bookshops with pictures. We will post them online. 


The dedicated Tolkien section at Blackwells in Oxford

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...